tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 30 14:10:13 1996

RE: KLBC: Hov leng: tlhIngan *cd-rom*

November 29, 1996 11:37 AM, jatlh loDDoq:

> SuStel jatlh(maj'a'?),

Er, no.  There are two problems here.  First, "SuStel said" should be {jatlh
SuStel}.  The subject always follows the verb.

Second, {maj} is not a verb!  It is an exclamation which expresses
satisfaction.  When you feel satisfied that something is okay, you say {maj}.
It doesn't just mean "good."

In this case, you're asking if you got the sentence right.  {lugh'a'
mu'tlheghvam?} "Is this sentence correct?"

> I didnt understand what you've said about your name,something like "why my
***
> name?".

I don't remember exactly what I said, but I was asking why you had added the
{-'a'} suffix to the middle of my name.

> Anyway,I didnt find the word for "Trek" so I said *Hov leng*-is it good?

This is what most people use.  I have done it myself sometimes, but I prefer
to simply say "Star Trek."  Besides, most Earth languages which have
translated the show have not kept the original title intact.  Some changes are
pretty radical!

> I've understand u have it(the game is pretty easy but it's a great movie
about
> Klingons
>  and the LanguageLab is cool!I've learned a lot from it).

jIQochbe'!  bIlugh.  ngeD Quj.  ram ngoDvam.

>     *vIQuj ngaD 'ach HoSghaj Hol QaQ*

There is no word {ngaD}, but I suspect you were trying to say {ngeD} "easy."
However, you can't say *{vIQuj ngeD}.  This translates roughly as "I play it
it is easy."  I'd just leave it as what I have above: {ngeD Quj} "The game is
easy.}

{HoSghaj Hol QaQ} "Good language is powerful."  Is this what you intended to
say?

tlhIngan Hol DajatlhchoHpu'mo', batlh bIvang!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level