tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 30 14:09:49 1996

RE: may'Day -1st attempt

November 29, 1996 10:00 AM, jatlh ~mark:

> >> 'IwlIj yIQoy,
> >> jach ghogh may'
> >
> >The full sentence is "Listen to your blood as the voice of battle cries
out."
> >This is set up as a relative clause, (TKD section 6.2.3) so you should use
> >one:
> >
> >'IwlIj yIQoy,
> >jatlhDI' may' ghogh.
>
> Consider also the verb "'Ij", which may be better than Qoy here.  Poetic
> structure (not even license) works okay here: Listen to your blood!  The
> voice of battle cries out.  (the "as" may be an artifact of translation
> into English).  But either works.

{'IwlIj ghogh yIQoy} is straight from TKW, and it makes perfect sense to use
{Qoy} here.  I am not in the least bit convinced that {'Ij} can be used
transitively, and I'm not sure if "your blood" is the beneficiary of the
action "listen," which makes me unwilling to use {-vaD}.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level