tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 30 14:09:34 1996

RE: KLBC: Shakespear

November 28, 1996 11:52 PM, jatlh Andrew 'Ska' Netherton:

> > "Cry havoc, and let loose the dogs of war!"
> > mIS yIjaH, 'ej veS targhmey tIQeyHa'choHmoH!
> > QIH yIjaH, 'ej veS targhmey tIQeyHa'choHmoH!
>
> 	OK, I can follow this until I hit <targhmey>.  I know <-mey> is
> "many" or "scattered about", but I cannot for the life of me decipher
> <targh->.  Help?

{-mey} is just a plural suffix.  It only means "scattered about" when it's
used on a noun referring to a being capable of using language or (in poetry)
nouns referring to body parts.

{targh} is in the Addendum.  It is a type of animal.  They look like big,
hairy pigs or dogs, with short tusks (I think) and a horn (I think, again).
They are often surrounded by glob flies.  They are sometimes kept as pets, and
heart of targ (only wild targs, mind you) is considered a delicacy.

> > "Have we not heard the chimes at midnight?"
> > ramjep *chime*-mey DIQoybe''a'?
> > I was not sure how to best translate "chimes." There was nothing even
> > remotely close.
>
> 	Looking up "warning" <ghuHmoH>, I found that it was a compounding
> of ugly <moH> and alert <ghuH>.  So, for "chimes", I would suggest:

No, {-moH} is also a verb suffix meaning "cause."  {ghuH} means "be alerted
to," so {ghuHmoH} means "cause to be alerted to," or "warn."

> ghuHQuchmey (happy alerts)
> or
> ghuH'IHmey (alerts that are beautiful)

No.  See above.

> > "To be, or not to be."
> > yIn, yInbe'ghach ghap
>
> 	Again, I can follow up to a point.  Why does <ghach> have to be
> there, and what the mIghwI' is it??  Again, I can't find it in my search
> through TKD.

HurghwI' has used {yIn} as a noun: "life."  Then he wanted a noun which was
the opposite of that.  I can't say exactly why he didn't just use {Hegh}
"death," although I suspect he was trying to make it sound contrasting.

If you've got a verb with a suffix on it, like {yInbe'} "not live," you can
add {-ghach} to it to make it into a noun: {yInbe'ghach} should mean "the
state of not living."

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian