tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 29 08:19:38 1996

KLBC: <-wI'> confusion

> There is a noun suffix called {-wI'}, but this is the possessive suffix.  It
> means "my (referring to beings capable of using language)."  Therefore
> {veSwI'} would mean "My war which is capable of using language."  Not quite
> what you had in mind, I think!

	I just figured out what my problem was, using <veSwI'>.  I figured
that <-wI'> (someone that does) could apply to a noun (<veSwI'> - someone
that does war).  But I think that it should be pointed out that <-wI'> is
more aptly translated as "someone/thing that [insert verb here]".  In
which case, <SuvwI'> is much more apt.

  / _ \                                     \        ** Andrew Netherton **
  \__)|         "VENI, VIDI VINNIE"          \ __    University of Waterloo
      \       I came, I saw my cousin.       |(_ \      Ontario, Canada

Back to archive top level