tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 29 08:09:23 1996

RE: KLBC on naming convention

> The verb prefix you've used is {cho-}, which means the object must be "me."
> However, your object is a name, not "me."  See the problem?

	Not clearly... I'll have to think on that.

> > 	Just an educated guess from a new veSwI'.  (Warrior?  Not in TKD.)
>
> Sure it is!  Page 191.  (You've got the 1992 edition with the white cover,
> right?)

	Ah... a section I hadn't found.  This clears somethings up.

> The word {veS} is a *noun* which means "war."  You cannot add the verb suffix
> {-wa'} to it.
> There is a noun suffix called {-wI'}, but this is the possessive suffix.  It
> means "my (referring to beings capable of using language)."

	However, isn't it also used as "thing that does" or "someone who
does"?  In that translation, <veSwI'> is "someone who does war", or
something like that.  Or is it that I can't use a noun as a verb?  Ah, I
see now... OK, I'm catching on.

	<SuvwI'> it is, then.

  / _ \                                     \        ** Andrew Netherton **
  \__)|         "VENI, VIDI VINNIE"          \ __    University of Waterloo
      \       I came, I saw my cousin.       |(_ \      Ontario, Canada

Back to archive top level