tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 28 21:36:19 1996

RE: KLBC on naming convention

November 27, 1996 10:48 PM, jatlh Andrew 'Ska' Netherton:

> 	I've read through the tlhIngan Hol faq, and have been intrigued by
> the problem with using pong.  What if, instead of using some of the
> joHma'-awful creations listed there, why not just be what Klingons are
> best: DIRECT.

Holtej, maybe you'd better update the FAQ concerning the SkyBox card with
{pong} on it (whichever one that is -- my next indexing project).

> 	Assuming my name is Skajo', what if I introduced myself thusly:
>
> 	Skajo' chopong.
> 	(You call me Skajo'.)

The verb prefix you've used is {cho-}, which means the object must be "me."
However, your object is a name, not "me."  See the problem?

The SkyBox card I referred to above has used pong.  Under it's "formula," I
could introduce myself as

jIHvaD <SuStel> yIpong.
Call me SuStel.

(heh:   jIHvaD "Ishmael" yIpong.)

> 	Just an educated guess from a new veSwI'.  (Warrior?  Not in TKD.)

Sure it is!  Page 191.  (You've got the 1992 edition with the white cover,
right?)

The word {veS} is a *noun* which means "war."  You cannot add the verb suffix
{-wa'} to it.

There is a noun suffix called {-wI'}, but this is the possessive suffix.  It
means "my (referring to beings capable of using language)."  Therefore
{veSwI'} would mean "My war which is capable of using language."  Not quite
what you had in mind, I think!

The words (in case you *don't* have the later edition) are {SuvwI'} and {vaj}.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level