tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 29 08:06:04 1996

Re: KLBC: this message is too long

>Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 12:07:28 -0800
>From: Oliver Pereira <[email protected]>
>
>How about:
>
>'uy'logh SuStel vIthlob vIneH
>I want to ask SuStel a million times.

That's actually pretty good, though "yu'" is even better than "tlhob". :)
Also, it's wa''uy'; Klingon number-forming elements are not used bare
(cf. wa'maH for ten).

>Except that that could mean asking the same question a million times, or
>asking on a million separate occasions, but with more than one question at
>a time. So how does one convey the idea that there are a million
>questions? (Or even 3,654,120?)

Context will help; it's unlikely you'd want to interrogate him a million
times for the same information.  You could also say "wa''uy' qechmey
vIyajmeH *SuStel* vIyu'chu' vIneH." (in order for me to understand a
million ideas, I want to interroaget SuStel carefully).

>> No need to add Esperanto to your messages;
>
>Hmm. The Esperanto was a feeble attempt to make the mailing list more
>international, but it doesn't work if no-one else writes in Esperanto, so
>I think I'll give up. Is <tulwI' Hol> a good name for "Esperanto"?
>"Esperanto" = "one who hopes", the pseudonym of the person who originally
>made Esperanto up.

Yes and no.  Yes, it makes sense as a translation, and no, you shouldn't
use it.  See the FAQ.  After all, what's the English word for "Esperanto"?
Is it "Hopertongue"?  Do you fgo telling people tyou study Hopertongue and
hope that Hopertongue attains its fina venk' and that la homaro faros en
konsento unu grandan rondan familion sub la sankta signo de
l'... Hopertongue (yes, I know I am mixing verses)?  No, you study
Esperanto and that's what you call it when you talk to English-speakers
EVEN THOUGH "Esperanto" is not an English word.  So why stress to call it
something else in Klingon?  If you called it Hopertongue in English nobody
would know what you meant.  People know it by the name Esperanto, and you
have to use a name people will recognize.

>> discussion should either be in Klingon or in English.
>
>Lingva fa^sismo!!! :-( Don't you think that it's rather unfair to
>restrict this mailing list just to people who can speak English? What
>about the other c. 5,000,000,000 people in the world who can't? At the
>moment, anyone who wants to learn Klingon has to learn English first!

Jes.  Do'Ha'.  La Klingona vortaro mem jxus nun ekaperis alialingve, kaj ni
ecx ne certas, jam, pri gxia boneco.  It's all well and good to promote
linguistic pluralism, but the long and short of it is you won't accomplish
anything on this list posting in Esperanto.  Sure, several of us here can
speak and read it.  But most don't, and more importantly nobody is here who
doesn't speak English, if only because of the dearth of materials about
Klingon in any other language.  So you won't actually reach anyone with E-o
that you won't reach with English.  (Then again, there's something to be
said for consciousness-raising.  I just am not sure that folks will
tolerate the clutter just here).

>> > P.S.- Who's the right person to
>> > moan at about the MUSH?
>> *shrug*.  Depends what you mean.  Moaning because no one's on it?  I agree:
>> this situation is intolerable!  I just don't know how to get more people to
>> visit!
>
>I do! When I first went there, I spent ages wandering through hundreds of
>different locations before I managed to find anyone, which was rather a
>waste of time. Possibly other people with less patience give up before
>they meet anyone. The second time I went, I spent ages looking for people
>(and no, it wasn't that no-one was there) and I failed, and got stuck in
>some infinite set of generic hotel rooms, from which I couldn't escape. So
>the third time I visited the MUSH, I had to start again as a different
>character ('olIvargh). I wandered around for ages (again), trying to find
>people, and failed again. If the purpose of the MUSH is to enable people
>to practise the language, what's the point of making it like a maze? The
>Virtuala Esperanto-Kongresejo is much more intelligently thought out.

You can try paging me, if I'm on (Seqram).  The !!#@%!$@%#& hotel is my
fault, but I don't have the time or the bravery to face its code again.
Maybe I'll shut the damn thing down and build another one with smarter and
simpler code.  Or something.  If you get stuck in a room, BTW, you can just
type "home" to go back to the Cold Sleep Storage room (I think.  Or
someplace else near the beginning).  The layout of the city (aside from the
hotel mixups) is actually pretty nice and well-built.  It is supposed to
feel like (some's concept of) a Klingon city, which happens to have lots of
little tunnels and holes and rooms.  Unfortunately, nobody really seems to
have felt like building anything much to flesh it out.  Maybe you will.

~mark

Back to archive top level