tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 26 19:42:48 1996

RE: KLBC: Hov leng qep wa'DIch

November 25, 1996 10:01 PM, jatlh De'vuch:

> ** warning:  there may be spoilers below **

lut vIleghta'mo', bIDo'.  jIjanglaH.

> wejHu' *Hov leng qep wa'DIch* vIleghpu'.

Don't try to use an aspect suffix as tense.  You hadn't already seen it as of
three days ago.  That *is* when you saw it.  {wejHu' "Star Trek: First
Contact" vIbej.}  (I like to keep Star Trek titles in English -- just my
preference -- and I decided to use {bej} instead of {legh}.  The first means
the act of continually watching, whereas the second means seeing something
with your eyes but does not include the monitoring idea.)

>  Daj vIQubpu'.

nuqjatlh?  Maybe you mean {Daj 'e' vIQub} "I thought it was interesting."
Again, don't try to use aspect as tense.

> Dapar be'nalwI'.  valbe' be'nalwI'.

You used the wrong suffix on {par}.  {par be'nalwI'}.

> moH borghngan chu'.  HurHa' Duj luyIt pIqard worIv je.

Is *{borghngan} something Okrand has used?  Without knowing this for sure,
I'll recommend that you just say "borg," including the quotation marks.

> ^Zephram Cochrane^ luqIHpu' vulqanganpu'.  tera'nganpu' 'Itlh, luQub
> vulqanganpu' 'e' mumer.

I'll accept the aspect on the first part, because it was finished by the time
we get to the second part.  You've missed the {'e'} for {Qub} again, and you
got a phrase backwards: {'Itlh tera'nganpu' 'e' luQub vulqanganpu'}.

Also, you need to use a third-person singular object on the second verb of a
sentence-as-object construction, and {mu-} isn't one.  Reword this:

{'Itlh tera'nganpu' 'e' luQubmo' vulqanganpu', jImer}.
Because the Vulcans thought that the Terrans were advanced, I was surprised.

pIvghor lu'oghmo' tera'ngan, 'Itlhba'.  vaj Such vulqangan.  pImqu' tera'
tIgh, 'ach Sarmo', juppu' chu' tu'pu' vulqanganpu'.  (Say *that* out loud!)

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level