tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 26 19:42:48 1996

RE: KLBC: 2 Verbs

November 26, 1996 1:32 AM, jatlh qeyloS:

> jatlh SuStel:
>
> >lutmaj tlhaQ yajbe'mo' tera'nganpu', matlhaQbe' net Daj neH.

> "tlhaQ"
> is a verb and that puts two verbs side by side. Are you using it as an
> adjective, is that legal?

Yup.  Read TKD section 4.4.

> >tlhaQchugh lut, ngoDvam wISovbej jay'
>
> Here you used the verb "tlhaQchugh" at the beginning of the sentence. Are
> you using it as an adverb? Again is that legal since it is not specifically
> listed as an adverb?

It's not an adverb, it's a subordinate clause.  "If the story is funny . . ."
Now take a look at TKD section 6.2.2.

> I've seen people use several nouns or verbs at the beginning of sentences.
> I'm trying to find, learn and understand the rules.

Certain adverbial {chuvmey} happen to sound exactly the same as a noun or
verb.  For example, {batlh} is a noun meaning "honor," but it is also an
adverbial meaning "with honor, done honorably."  They are still different
parts of speech.  You have to determine which meaning to use by context and by
its position in the sentence.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian