tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 21 15:05:44 1996

Overstretching grammer [was Re: KLBC: Quotes]

People used to try to make {-ghach} do EVERYTHING. English is
noun-centric, so English speakers lust for the ability to make
verbs into nouns so they can use them the same way in Klingon
that they use them in English.

Now, people are trying to use {-wI} to do EVERYTHING, just like
they tried to overextend {-ghach}. KLINGON IS ACTION ORIENTED
AND DOES NOT TURN EVERYTHING INTO A NOUN. DEAL WITH IT.

charghwI'

[email protected] writes:
> > Since {HoHwI'} is "sleeper" or "one who sleeps," {HoHwI'wI'} is "my sleeper."
> >
> [probably being confused by my using {Qong} as an example :-]
>
> > Maybe slightly more precise, but probably not grammatical.  To be avoided.
> >
> Agreed, but my point was, that I'd probably interpret "my killer"
> as someone who works for me rather than someone who kills me, in
> analogy to "my sleeper", which can _only_ be someone who works for
> me. (well - maybe not necessarily _works_ for me :) I'd probably
> use {muHoHbogh vay'/loD} for the other.
>
> HomDoq

Back to archive top level