tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 19 21:47:34 1996

Re: q and Q (was: help with this.)

At 15:11 18/11/96 -0800, charghwI' wrote:
}All this discussion about {q} {Q} and {H} have me stunned by the
}recognition that it would be impossible to hear the difference
}between {baQa'} and {*baqHa'*}. Perhaps this is why there is no
}verb {*baq*}? Or perhaps Okrand merely misunderstood Maltz?

jIQoch.

1. The second syllable is stressed in baQa', but generally the first, the
verb *baq would be stressed in *baqHa'.

2. At full conversational speed, and disregarding stress, they might sound
the same, but Q is more like q and H simultaneously than consecutively.  It
is possible to close the q before making the H in baqHa'.

3. I'm quite sure context would distinguish between swearing and mis-baqing.
---
Qov (Robyn Stewart)   [email protected]    tlhIngan Hol ghojwI'

Back to archive top level