tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 16 22:44:28 1996

RE: q and Q (was: help with this.)

jatlh qrlIH:

>  He did say that the sounds {q} and {Q} were made
>  at the very back of the throat, behind where {H} is made.  He did not
>  indicate that there was any other difference between the sounds other than
>  the force with which they were uttered; in fact, it seemed to me that he
>  said there was no other difference.  How else could one interpret "with an
>  attitude"?

Good grief!!  If you force air through {q}, you're going to get {Q}.  An
affricate is a sound which begins as a stop and becomes a fricative, a sound
produced by flowing air which can be maintained, and which has some "friction"
to it.

I don't consider every utterance out of Okrand's mouth to be canon.  Only that
which makes sense.  I interpret "with an attitude" as a quick way to get
people to be able to produce the sound.  It is not an "official ruling"!  It's
not the official terminology used by the Empire!  Many of us, including me,
have spoken to Okrand *personally* in Klingon.  We know how to make the
sound!!

SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian
Stardate 96879.6