tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 13 10:11:15 1996

Re: KLBC: Translation

>Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 20:23:57 -0800
>From: "David Trimboli" <[email protected]>
>
>jatlh HurghwI':
>
>"No matter where you go, there you are."
>
>>  Actually, I just realized it might be:
>>  pa' SoHtaHmo' ram Daq bIjaHbogh
>
>The position of the {-mo'} clause is probably not important.  However, your
>misuse of {Daq} and {jaH} *is*!
>
>One of my corrections of your sentences was {ram Daq DaghoSbogh, pa'
>SoHtaHmo'}.  Note that here, {Daq} is the noun found on TKD p. 181, meaning
>"site, location."  I'm not using it as a noun suffix!  The sentence literally
>means
>"The site which you approach is unimportant, because there you are."

Hmm.  Just realized.  You probably want a perfective aspect marker
somewhere in there, or it sounds like you could have used
"ghoch"/destination... and that is patently confusing: how can I be there
if I'm going there!  Obviously I'm talking about a time at which I've
already reached where I was going, and am referring to the "going" as
completed.  That's perfective, qar'a'?

~mark

Back to archive top level