tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 12 20:15:44 1996

RE: KLBC: Translation

jatlh HurghwI':

"No matter where you go, there you are."

>  Actually, I just realized it might be:
>  pa' SoHtaHmo' ram Daq bIjaHbogh

The position of the {-mo'} clause is probably not important.  However, your
misuse of {Daq} and {jaH} *is*!

One of my corrections of your sentences was {ram Daq DaghoSbogh, pa'
SoHtaHmo'}.  Note that here, {Daq} is the noun found on TKD p. 181, meaning
"site, location."  I'm not using it as a noun suffix!  The sentence literally
means
"The site which you approach is unimportant, because there you are."

When you use {jaH}, you've got to use the Type 5 noun *suffix* {-Daq}, which
is not the same as the *noun* {Daq}.  Unfortunately, thanks to problems
related to the "ship in which I fled" dilemma (see the FAQ), this probably
wouldn't work in your sentence!  You can't say *{Daq bIjaHbogh} because {bI-}
indicates no object, yet you have one.  *{Daq DajaHbogh} doesn't work either,
because you need to add the locative suffix to the object, but then you'd have
to write *{DaqDaq ram bIjaHbogh . . .}, which doesn't make any sense either .
. .  You see what's going on?

I used the verb {ghoS} in my translation to solve this problem.  You don't
need to use the locative suffix on nouns which come before it; they become its
object.

SuStel
Stardate 96868.3

Back to archive top level