tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 12 18:04:10 1996

RE: KLBC: Translation

At 05:41 PM 11/12/96 -0800, you wrote:
>jatlh HurghwI':
>
>>  >>  ram Daq DajaHbogh pa' jIHtaHmo'.
>>  >Nick would disagree with me on this, but you probably need to say {Daq
>>  >DaghoSbogh}.  I don't believe there is any canon to say that {jaH} can
>take >  >an
>>  >object.
>>  >
>>  >ram Daq DaghoSbogh, pa' SoHtaHmo'.
>>
>>  I did mean {SoHtaHmo'}. Look on TKD p27. {Daq} means at, in, or _to_
>
>Add a marker: {-Daq} means "at," "in," or "to."  {Daq} is a noun which means
>"location."
>
>What I'm saying is that {jaH} does not take an object.  Just as you don't say
>"I go the Great Hall," you also don't say *{vaS'a' vIjaH}.  You say "I go *to*
>the Great Hall" {vaS'a'Daq jIjaH}.  You can also say "I approach the Great
>Hall" {vaS'a' vIghoS}.  You *could* say "I approach to the Great Hall"
>{vaS'a'Daq jIghoS}, but it's a little redundant.
>
>Therefore, whenever I want to include the location as the object of the verb,
>I usually use {ghoS}:
>
>ram Daq DaghoSbogh, pa' SoHtaHmo'.
>The place which you approach is unimportant, because you are there.
>
>Yours is more like "The place which you go," and not "The place which you go
>*to*."

Correct as usual . . . I realized this right after I sent the message, and
had already changed my sig. However, don't words for location like {pa'},
{naDev}, {vogh}, and {Daq} have an assumed {-Daq} suffix? If not, could I
say {DaqDaq}?
is my current sig correct?--> vogh bIjaHchugh, pa' SoH
or should I change it to this?--> vogh bIghoSchugh, pa' SoH

>SuStel
>Stardate 96867.8

-Adrian K (aka HurghwI')
      Stardate 96866.8