tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 12 13:31:30 1996

Re: KLBC: Translation

~mark writes:
>nuqjatlh?  I'm a little puzzled.  The structure of this confuses me, and
>the meaning doesn't match either.

bIlaDlaHbe'law'. :-)  qay'be' -- Qatlhqu' mu'tlheghvam!
wejlogh vIlaDnIS vIyajpa' jIH.
SIbI' yajlaw'ta'mo' SuStel Doj ghaH!

>First off, there's that initial "ram."  Either it's a timestamp meaning
>"night" (you go someplace at night...) or it's a verb meaning "trivial", in
>which case it looks like you're using it adverbially.

qatlh qechvam Huj DaHar?  wot 'oH <ram>.

>That would make
>sense logically, but I don't recall ever hearing that "ram"/trivial could
>be used as an adverb.  I could see "Daq ram DaghoSbogh"/the trivial place
>you go, but that's not what you said.

bIlugh, mu'meyvetlh ja'be'.  <ram Daq DaghoSbogh> ja'ba'. :-)

>The structure as a whole throws me: the place where you go, because you're
>there.  Um... verb?  There's a relative clause and a dependent clause,
>there should be a main verb *somewhere*.

<ram> DawoDchugh, wotna' DaSamlaHbe'ba'.
yIlaDqa'.  ghaytan bIqIp'egh.

>How about:
>vogh DaghoSchugh, pa' SoH
>or use -DI' instead of -chugh.  I wonder if "?Hoch vogh" makes sense...

taQ.  yabwIj SIHmoH.  wej vIpar...

>Did you see something I didn't, SuStel?

Doch Daleghbe'bogh luleghbej ghot law'.

yaHDaq jaj qab DaSIQlI''a', ~mark? :-)