tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 12 13:28:13 1996

Re: a proverb

> From: Mark E. Shoulson <[email protected]>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: a proverb
> Date: Tuesday, November 12, 1996 3:41 PM

> >My attempt at translation
> >**
> >Once, while I was dreaming, I met Kahless.
> >He caused a batlith to form and proceded to instruct me in its
use.
> >Dream of strength
> >I always remember the cockroach-dream
> >**
> >I felt comfortable with the first 2 lines. The 3d line was a bit
> >hazy; and the last line made no sense to me at all.  Could the
> >reference to "cockroach" be analagous to "grasshopper" (ie, in the
> >Kung Fu series?)

> rare.  Don't forget your suffixes!  They're important to know too.

K'oops!

> Oh, and if it were the noun, "najvetlh" would be "dream-cockroach,"
not
> "cockroach-dream" (the logic of the formation in Klingon happens to
match
> the English of the same order.  A "jolpa'" is a kind of "pa'", not
a kind
> of "jol.")

I get confused in this regard at times.  This is my fifth language; I
tend to think in what I call "symbol-flow" rather than words
structured by grammar.  This has always worked for other languages,
but tlhIngan Hol  seems to defy me.  I beleive the difference is, I
have never conversed with anyone who spoke the language fluently.
Every language seems to have a "spirit" (if I may use the term),
which cannot be (at least not easily) conveyed in writing.  That's
why everytime I hear Klingon spoken on  the screen, I latch on to it
with every linguistic sense I have.  But I feel like a sponge trying
to absord liquid thru a pane of glass!  Learning ability falls into a
spectrum ranging on one end at "reductive" to the opposite end,
"holistic."  I fall near the extreme holistic end (often to my
dismay), while most people tend to be reductive learners.  I won't
get into the details of what all that means, but it is making my
learning of tlhIngan Hol much more difficult than I am accustomed to.
 (Besides which it IS difficult... intentionally!).

Thanks for your input/response!

Qapla' batlh je!

K'Pach

			<[email protected]>