tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 11 18:49:01 1996

RE: Punctuation

jatlh Eric Yarnell:

>  Is there an established system of punctuation?  I could find nothing about
>  it in _The Klingon Dictionary_.  It seems in some postings in tlhIngan Hol,
>  exclamation points and periods are used.  However, no punctuation is used
>  in
>  the Syntax section of _The Klingon Dictionary_.

Hmmm . . . is this one in the FAQ?

Since we Earthers are forced to learn *spoken* Klingon only, we don't really
know how the written language is used.  And since you can't easily detect
pauses and emphasis in written words (written in the romanized alphabet which
is not used to represent Klingon writing, but rather, *sounds*), you need some
way to indicate this while writing.  Use punctuation as you like in order to
make the sentence clearer.

Besides, Okrand uses some punctuation in The Klingon Way.  There's no reason
not to use it, since the Roman alphabet symbols we are using are not Klingon
symbols anyway.

SuStel
Stardate 96865.4

Back to archive top level