tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 08 16:28:26 1996

KLBC: Let's try again...

I feel fairly embarrassed at my poor choice of words and terrible grammar
in my last post.  I've been here for a while, and I worked for a long
time to make sure it was right.  At least my mistakes weren't obvious
things like sentance word order.  Oh yeah... I know that my opening,
"Here goes nothing," is not a term that a Klingon would use.  The thought
crossed my mind that you would say something to the effect of, "Klingons
aren't like that," and I was right.  In that particular case, I was
simply trying to translate a phrase, not imply that it would mean the
same thing to a Klingon as a Human.  Sorry!  I'll try to use Klingon-only
expressions from now on.  And yes, I read the new words list and FAQ,
plus every other rescource I can get my hands on.  Anyway, that's not why
I'm here.  I'm here to dust myself off and try again!  I'll try to
translate the Star Trek Encyclopedia entry on the {Daqtagh}, just for
lack of anything better.  So you can follow my though processes, I'll use
the same system as last time.

[tlhIngan Hol]
lurDech tajDaj SuvwI' tlhIngan Daqtagh'e'.  may'Hom SuvmeH lo'taH 'ej
lurDech wanI'vaD lo'taH 'e' wej 'ay'mey jej ghajtaHbogh nuH naS Daqtagh.

[Original]
d'k tahg.  Traditional Klingon warrior's knife.  A vicious, three-bladed
weapon, the d'k tahg is commonly used in hand to hand combat, as well as
in many ceremonies.

[Literal]
d'k tahg.  Klingon warrior's knife of tradition.  The d'k tahg, a vicious
weapon that has three sharp sections, is used in small battles and it is
used in events of traddition.

Is this any better?  I'm sure there are still tons of mistakes, but I'm
learning.

-mIqIraH (Was: McReynolds; Transliteration: Mikrahk.  I decided to create
a name afterall.  I agree with SuStel... most of those translated names
sound too Native American for my taste!)

Back to archive top level