tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 08 02:57:09 1996

RE: KLBC: How's this?

>You could say {taghwI' jIH} for "I am a beginner."  If you want to say
>"*Because* I'm a beginner, you need to put the {-mo'} suffix on the {jIH},
>because it is acting as the verb: {taghwI' jIHmo'}.

Shouldn't it be {taghwI'mo' jIH}? It seems to me this is the difference between:
I'm a beginner, and because of me . . .
and
I'm a beginner, and because of my beginner status . . .

>" . . . it is hard to think like a Klingon . . ."
>
>You have tried *{tlhIngan vIQub}, which really means "I think a Klingon."
>Thinking *like* a Klingon is a more difficult idea (I guess it takes a Klingon
>. . .).  There are many ways to do it.  Let me show you one:
>
>{jIQubtaHvIS, tlhIngan yab rur yabwIj}  "While I think, my brain resembles a
>Klingon brain."
>
>It's a bit strange, but sometimes Klingon requires different sentence
>constructions than English.  There are also probably more elegant ways to say
>this.
>
>If I want to say "It is hard to think like a Klingon,", then I need to change
>the sentence a bit.
>
>"In order that my brain resembles a Klingon brain while I think, it is
>difficult."
>{jIQubtaHvIS tlhIngan yab rurmeH yabwIj, Qatlh}.  What is the "it" in "it is
>difficult"?  Certain simple nouns will suffice: {Qu'} "task," {wanI'} "event."
>
>See why this was such an ambitious sentence?  :)

Couldn't you just say "It is hard for my thoughts to resemble Klingon thoughts."
Dochmey'e' Qubbogh tlhInganpu' rur Dochmey'e' vIQubbogh

I don't know how correct this is.

>You've read the new FAQ, I suppose?  Of course, the choice of names is yours,
>but I'm personally tired of names reminding me of phrases like "Little Dog"
>and "Running Bear."  It's essentially what's happening.  I'd like to see more
>people with Klingon sounding names!  (Note: this is my opinion only!)

I didn't know there was a FAQ. When I chose my name someone referred me to a
previous newsgroup posting. I guess I'm lucky, because HurghwI' sounds
Klingon and it's my real name.

>SuStel
>Stardate    96854.5

-Adrian K (aka HurghwI') {{:-)}