tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 23 12:46:18 1996

Re: KLBC:Name that Song

At 08:13 PM 5/20/96 -0700, ghunchu'wI' wrote:
>>>Okay, which is it?  You seem to say that you agree with Ford that "Rage"
>>>is a noun, but you then use it as a verb.  Is the band's name supposed to
>>>mean "complain angrily and violently about" the machine, or is it supposed
>>>to mean "violent anger which is placed adjacent to" the machine?

>beHwI"av writes:
>>The former, "complain angrily and violently about", this is why I find it so
>>detrimental that there is not a word for "against". Can you understand how
>>important it is for the concept as a whole?

>No, I can't understand how the lack of a single word can be so detrimental.
>If you can't come up with another way to accurately express the idea, then
>I suspect you do not clearly understand the underlying idea itself.  Have
>you seen the other proposed translations for this sentence?  What do you
>think of them?

I think the other proposed translations do display the fundamental idea of
the sentence, yes, but not the essence. I've always had this fixed picture
of the burning monk branded into my mind and because of this I could
understand the meaning that the very words portrait, to me, thus making it
inconceivable, for me, to convey "that" message. Just as when I hear the
name Stephan King, I can see some bloke digging up his son. I'm sorry I
can't show you the cover of the first CD, it would make it much easier.
Perhaps you are right, that I cannot clearly understand the underlying
message, but as often is the case, others cannot understand my idea.

Anywayz, we are now straying from the matter at hand, tlhIngan Hol.

Qapla'

beHwI"av

Back to archive top level