tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 23 12:46:17 1996

Re: KLBC:Name that Song

At 08:45 PM 5/20/96 -0700, you wrote:
>beHwI"av writes:

>Close:  Why do you use an apparent {ngoq}?

Code. Because, as you may of seen, some one correctly named it.

That *@$%* Fek'lhr again, very bad.

>> If I where to use the
>>word {naghHom}, "pebble", in the sentence {jIH naghHom jIHotlh}...,
>
>[This should be {jIHDaq naghHom vIHotlh}]

Yes, because I project it, I should know the prefixes of by heart now.

>>Why, that would make it a one use word and I don't get the feeling that it
>>is a one use word, only projecting images.
>
>Huh?  I don't follow what you mean by a "one use word".  Would {chap} be
>such a word?  {vaQ}?  {Say'}?  Please elaborate on this complaint.  Notice
>also that {Hotlh} has the additional meaning "scan", which goes along very
>well with the "on screen" meaning.

Yeah, I see your point.

>>It would then be imposible, which
>>it already is, for lack of the word against, for a Klingon to form an
>>opinion on any subject pertaining to politics and war.
>
>You've lost me here.  How can the fact that {Hotlh} means "put on (screen)"
>and the lack of a direct translation for the preposition "against" (indeed,
>for prepositions in general) have anything to do with politics and war?

I think I may have lost my self in all this "non-conversation" (never mind
it, that is an in joke, it would take far to long to explain, that will be
my next Klingon Language task.)

>[Klingon doesn't have prepositions.  You won't find Klingon words that can
>directly translate the english words "in" or "under".  You have to use a
>different grammatical tool to express the idea.]

But for "in", revering to places, "In the US..." you can write {*us*Daq}, right?

Qapla'

beHwI"av (Gosh, I'm glad I'm behind the bloke with the rifle.)

Back to archive top level