tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 23 21:55:38 1996

Re: KLBC:Name that Song

beHwI"av writes:
>I think the other proposed translations do display the fundamental idea of
>the sentence, yes, but not the essence.

We apparently have a language barrier here.  I don't quite understand how
you are distinguishing between "fundamental idea" and "essence".

>I've always had this fixed picture
>of the burning monk branded into my mind and because of this I could
>understand the meaning that the very words portrait, to me, thus making it
>inconceivable, for me, to convey "that" message.

*What* message?  I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
(I would say "babbling about", but I have a feeling the problem is at
my end.)

>Just as when I hear the
>name Stephan King, I can see some bloke digging up his son.

That's a very narrow view of his work; do you think only of Yoda when the
name George Lucas is mentioned?

>I'm sorry I
>can't show you the cover of the first CD, it would make it much easier.

Though it is said that a picture is worth a thousand words, an artistic
CD cover can probably be described adequately with a sentence or two.
If you believe I would understand the phrase "rage against the machine"
better if I knew what the CD cover looks like, please enlighten me.

>Perhaps you are right, that I cannot clearly understand the underlying
>message, but as often is the case, others cannot understand my idea.

I have complete faith in the power of language.  If you have an idea which
you cannot clearly express using language, then I indeed suspect you do not
have a clear understanding of your own idea.