tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 31 07:35:26 1996

Re: My two cents.

>Let's try a slightly different idea.  If I use the translation "reside",
>does the sentence "A word doesn't reside" make sense to you?  Words have
>no home, and it doesn't make sense for them to have one.  I'm trying to
>use the word intransitively.  From your consistent descriptions of how
>"wohne" is used, I understand it to mean "reside in", including the "in"
>as part of its meaning, which would make it hard to use it with no object.

To say "I reside in the park" you'd say "Ich wohne im Park" (Nouns are
capitalised).

>By the way, "nirgends" isn't obviously a locative; it looks to me like
>it's a simple direct object.  In order to test this theory, I need to
>know how to say some things in German:
>(1) "I eat a box."  (2) "I eat in a box."  (3) "I live in a box."

(1)"Ich es einer Dose" Not to sure about "einer".
(2)"Ich es im einer Dose" dito.
(3)"Ich wohne im einer Dose" As I said at the top.

Qapla'

Daniel

Back to archive top level