tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 30 19:03:11 1996

Re: My two cents.

Marc Ruehlaender writes:
>maybe "to be situated" (not in a financial sense) is a better
>example. Do you think that
>
>"It is situated." "It is not situated." "Is it situated?"
>
>are complete sentences?

Yes, I do think they are complete sentences.  They are considering
the state of an object, not its location.  If something is "situated",
it has a definite location.  If something is not "situated", it does
not have a definite location.

>Shouldn't they be
>"It is sit. somewhere/nowhere." "Where is ist sit.?"

Only if you are concerned about where it is located, and not
whether or not it is located at all.  If you're asking if it
has a location, you don't need to ask "where".

If I'm discussing a computer simulation which involves setting up
a number of objects and placing them at certain coordinates, there
might be a time at which the objects' locations haven't yet been
initialized, and they are not "situated" from the point of view of
the simulation.

Quantum physics gives us a real-world example of something which
can be "situated" or not, depending on what sort of knowledge one
has about its state.  An electron has position and momentum; if
we have complete information about its momentum, the electron has
no definite position.  It is not "situated" at all.