tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 25 02:24:25 1996

Re: "Suq chIm"?

[Quoting [email protected]]

> I've just seen the ST:TNG episode "Parallels", in which Worf asks Troi
> to be what sounded like "Suq chIm" to his son, a relationship which he
> described in Federation as "surrogate mother".  TKD suggests several
> possible readings of the word, but the only one whose meaning is at all
> plausible ("SoS chIm") definitely has a second consonant different from
> what I heard.  Is the correct reading known?
>
>     SoS chIm        empty mother
>     Surchem         force field
>     Su' chIm        ready! be empty!
>     Sut chIm        empty clothing
>     SuchIm          you are empty
>     SoQ chIm        empty speech

If you had turned on BBC teletext (I believe it's called "Ceefax" in
Britain, right?) you could have seen that it was spelled So'chIm
there. AQnd I think those spellings come from the script of the
episode; that's what the subtitle-people often use to get these kinds
of things "right".

--
          Jarno Peschier, [email protected], 2:2802/245.1@Fido
      162:100/100.1@Agora, 74:3108/102.1@QuaZie, 27:2331/214.1@SigNet