tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 24 19:04:28 1996

Re: "Suq chIm"?

>I've just seen the ST:TNG episode "Parallels", in which Worf asks Troi
>to be what sounded like "Suq chIm" to his son, a relationship which he
>described in Federation as "surrogate mother".

I think it's just a term with no relationship to other words in TKD,
similar to {ja'chuq}, {meqba'}, and {SonchIy}.  (I have noticed that
the syllable "chim" seems to be used rather often in the snippets of
bad Klingon we are treated to by the writers.)

tevram writes:
>IMHO, it's SoS chen  to take the form of the mother.

Yecch.  This is a very strange interpretation of the word {chen}.  I don't
think "build up, take form" can mean "take the form of", and I indeed will
insist loudly that it cannot.