tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 24 14:57:03 1996

"Suq chIm"?

I've just seen the ST:TNG episode "Parallels", in which Worf asks Troi
to be what sounded like "Suq chIm" to his son, a relationship which he
described in Federation as "surrogate mother".  TKD suggests several
possible readings of the word, but the only one whose meaning is at all
plausible ("SoS chIm") definitely has a second consonant different from
what I heard.  Is the correct reading known?

    SoS chIm        empty mother
    Surchem         force field
    Su' chIm        ready! be empty!
    Sut chIm        empty clothing
    SuchIm          you are empty
    SoQ chIm        empty speech

___
\X/ Richard Kennaway, [email protected], http://www.sys.uea.ac.uk/~jrk/
    School of Information Systems, Univ. of East Anglia, Norwich, U.K.

Back to archive top level