tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 21 18:03:08 1996

Re: pajamas

Laurel Beckley writes:
>...how to say "I wear the pajamas of shame" in tlhIngan Hol...

I'm not sure I want to know why...

>...I think that "I wear pajamas" would be nIvnav vItuQ, but am not sure.

Exactly right.

>I'm still having trouble with verb prefixes.

You got this one correct:
{vI-} means "I [do something to/with] him/her/it/them."

>Shame is tuHmoH right?

{tuHmoH} means "shame" as a *verb*; it's literally "cause to be ashamed."
You seem to want "shame" the *noun*, the condition of being disgraced or
dishonored, or the emotion caused by being disgraced or dishonored.  But
"the pajamas of shame" conjures up a bizarre mental image in my mind, and
I don't think trying to translate it directly can do it justice.

>How do you fit it in with wearing pajamas?

There are many ways to express the apparent meaning behind your sentence.

{jItuH 'e' 'angbogh nIvnav vItuQ}
  "I wear pajamas which reveal that I am ashamed."
This is very close to the words of the original sentence.

{batlhHa' jIvangpu' 'e' mapbogh nIvnav vItuQ}
  "I wear pajamas which proclaim that I have acted dishonorably."
This one sounds more like a true Klingon sentiment to me.

{naDHa'ghach nIvnav vItuQ}
  "I wear the pajamas of discommendation."
I'd advise against using this casually -- discommendation is *strong*.

{ghe''or ngan nIvnav vItuQ}
  "I wear the pajamas of a resident of the netherword (where dishonored go)."
This is my favorite -- it's wacky enough to capture the feeling I got from
your friend's request.