tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 21 18:03:03 1996

Re: Fractions

charghwI' writes:
[regarding multiplication]
>If my memory serves, my earlier solution to this was to say for
>4 X 3 something like "Four adds itself thrice". wejlogh
>chel'egh loS (?).

That's how I did it when I translated a math drill programming assignment
into Klingon as an example of object-oriented techniques, but nobody who
saw the program really cared if it was grammatical or not.

[regarding exponentiation]
>I guess four times three squared could be a
>further extension of addition. That's how computers do it.

Yeah, but it gets cumbersome to talk about higher math in this fashion.
"K repetitions of adding N to itself N times" really ought to have its
own term, but I don't really see mathematics as an important enough topic
of discussion today to warrant our petitioning for new vocabulary.
nurghmey pIm wIvutnIS.

>> If you want to collect strange proposals for unit fractions, here's one:
>> use {yoy}. :-)  1/3 would be {wej yoy}.
>
>wej.... puH.

majQa'! jIHaghqu'!