tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 30 09:35:30 1996

Re: tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhchu''a'

At 08:06 PM 7/29/96 -0700, ghItlh ghunchu'wI'

>ghItlh SaraH:
>><vaj QIch>  vIparHa'!  mu'ghomvamvaD DI'vI' Hol lo'lu'.  'e' vIQoypu'.
>>'ach tlhIngan Hol lo'lu',  'e' vIQoybe'pu'.
>>
>>I like "speech of warriors"!  I have heard English used for that phrase.
>>But I have not heard Klingon used.
>
>{QIch} means "speech (vocal sounds)".  It's the *noise* made while
>speaking, not the words or meaning.  I'd never use it to refer to
>the *language*.

baQa'.  <vaj QIch> vIparHa. *sigh* luq.
Rats.  I liked it.  *sigh*  Okay.

><mu'ghomvamvaD> DaghItlhmo' jImIS.  qatlh mu'ghom Daqel?
>What do you mean by {mu'ghomvamvaD}?  I don't understand what
>dictionary you're talking about.  I might translate "phrase"
>as {mu'tlheghHom}, but your use of {-vaD} is unobvious to me.
"For that phrase" vIHech.  jIQaghqu'.
I meant to say for that phrase, but I was just careless and didn't check the
definition of "phrase."

>You've run afoul of Klingon Grammar Rule #6.2.5-c.  On page 66
>of The Klingon Dictionary, we are told that the second verb in
>a sentence-as-object construction never takes a type 7 suffix.
>*{...'e' X-pu'} is not legal.  I can't think of a good reason
>for it to be forbidden, but forbidden it is.

jIyaj 'e' vIHar.  DaH 'e' vIneH.  DaH 'e' vIHech.  chaH DaH luHech law'
<'e'> mu'tlhegh.
I think I understand.  Now I want it.  Now I intend it.  Perhaps most 'e'
sentences mean _now_ I do something.  Would you have understood <'e' vIQoy>?
I suppose my problem is just the English insistence on tenses.

SaraH

Back to archive top level