tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 30 09:02:45 1996

Re: Skybox season five klingon cards

On 7/30/96 at 7:43 AM, Mark E. Shoulson wrote the following:

<...SnIp...>

> >S27 Klingon Homeworld
>
> >The principal planet of the Klingon Empire, Qo'noS is usually referrred
>to as
> >simply "The Homeworld."  This is where the Klingon Great hall is
>located, the
> >center of the Klingon government.  Qo'noS is a class-M planet with an
>oxygen/
> >nitrogen atmosphere.
>
> >------
>
> >S27 gives us the words for oxygen ({yInSIp} "life gas") and nitrogen
>({voQSIp}
> >"choke gas"), as well as the word {roD} which I take to mean "usually" (but
> >hadn't Okrand already given us {motlh} as "usually" on SP3?)
>
> yInSIp and voQSIp are interesting.  I recall that the Hebrew (Modern, of
> course) word for nitrogen is "chanqan" from the root CH.N.Q. meaning
> "suffocate".  I suspect they got that from German or something (any German
> speakers can confirm the German word for nitrogen?  I know the Hebrew and
> German words for oxygen are similar, both based on the root for "sour.")
> Perhaps Okrand was thinking something similar.

Oxygen = Sauerstoff
Nitrogen = Stickstoff
Helium = Helium
Hydrogen = Wasserstoff

      vay' yIHub Hoch 'ej Hoch tIHub vay' - DumaS
vIta'pu'be' !!!   tlhIngan ghaH *Bart Simpson*'e'
Soqra'tIS           [email protected]

Back to archive top level