tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 29 09:44:12 1996

Re: Words for God

>Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 06:21:47 -0700
>From: Thad Vick <[email protected]>

>ghitlh charghwI':
>***Long and petty tirade on the insignificance of the question deleted.***

>Elohim = HoswI'pu' -- powerful one, plural

Yeah, but construes as singular.  Note that in English it's never
translated as "Gods" or anything plural (except when it means "other"
gods).  Best not to translate that peculiarity of Hebrew (using the plural
for singular) and confuse other languages.

>El Shaddai = qumchu'wI' -- God Almighty (leaving the 'God' alone)

Interesting, though I've never heard a really good explanation of
"shaddai".

>Jehovah = meaning uncertain, the prevailing theory is that it means "I am", the
>implication being that God is the only one who can make an independent claim to
>exist since everybody else was created by Him.  For translations of "I am", see
>the "I think, therefore I am" thread.  The correct transliteration would be
><yaHve'>

Maybe.  YHWH doesn't appear to be first-person in Hebrew; that would begin
with an 'aleph.  And is it yaHve' or yaHwe'?  And why end with a glottal
stop?  And what are the vowels REALLY?  etc.

>Christ = wIvwI' -- this is not quite right, since it should be "chosen one", not
>"he who chooses" but i haven't unraveled the mysteries of passive voice yet.
>Grammarians?

If you're being literal, "Christ" means "the one annointed [with oil]",
which is an awfully culturally-biased meaning.  Even the NT authors started
making more of "Son of God" since "annointed" only had that special "chosen
one"/"royalty" meaning to Jews and they were trying to get at gentiles
more.

>Lord = the words for this in both Old Testament (Adonai) and New Testament
>(Kurie) merely mean a ruler or master and neither word was used exclusively
>for deity. A similar usage is found in modern Spanish (Senor). -- pIn'a'

Or "joH'a'", which I recall is where we started.  Tho you're right about
the meaning of "'adon" including "pIn'a'".

Anyway, I'm starting to agree with charghwI', that this is starting to get
off on tangents.

~mark

Back to archive top level