tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 29 05:09:02 1996

Re: tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhchu''a'

Robert Darke writes:
>vaj QIch vIghojtaH

"Thus I am learning speech (vocal sounds)."
Or, more likely, "I am learning a warrior's speech (vocal sounds)."

>paqmey lI' vIje'meH paqmey lI' Daja'

"In order for me to purchase useful books, you tell useful books."

This is just a statement of fact.  If you want to ask someone to give
you the information, it needs to be a command, using an "imperative"
verb prefix: {...paqmey lI' yIja'}

I'd probably have used {'ang} or {Del} or {ngu'} instead of {ja'} here.

**

If you want to learn correct tlhIngan Hol pronunciation, you need more
than a book can give you.  The audiocassettes _Conversational Klingon_
and _Power Klingon_ are the standard reference materials.  The CD-ROM
_Star Trek: Klingon_ contains an interactive language lab with feedback
on how well it thinks one is pronouncing words.