tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 29 05:38:19 1996

'olImpIqDaq jor peng

<ACOG> vIqeltaHvIS jIbep, 'ach Doj HungDaj.  Heghmo' cha' ghotpu' jI'IQqu',
'ach . . .

I have to resort to English.  Sorry for the insufficiently Klingon post, but
it's a follow up to one in Klingon, at least.

Despite my recent diatribe against the Atlanta Committee for the Olympic Games
on this list, I have to say that the way their security responded to
the bomb on Saturday morning was very impressive.  It's tragic that two
people lost their lives, and I'm very saddened and outraged that
someone would do such a thing - attack innocent people in a public
place!  No political target, no agenda - not that either of those would
excuse the act, but this is even worse. Just hurting and killing people
because one *can*, just to show power, or something.  muropmeH.  But
the fact that the security saw the bomb, identified it, and had started
clearing the area - the fact that they noticed it at all, in a place
that size, with a crowd that size - is impressive.  It could have been
so much worse; the potential was there for a death toll worse than that
of TWA flight 800.  I know that's no consolation to the families of the
two people who died; there is no consolation.  But I'm nonetheless
impressed by the outcome.

For this tragedy, I do not blame ACOG.  They've mismanaged an awful lot
during these games, but there was just no way they could have done a
better job securing the park, at least not and still have it be
worthwhile to go there.  I remember the public debate about the park,
whether or not it was a good idea from a security perspective.  I
remember the decision to have it as an open area, free to the public,
no tickets required -  despite the infeasibility of tight access
controls in such an environment.  And I still think that was the right
decision.  With tickets to the Opening Ceremonies upwards of $600,
and with the rest of the "Olympic Ring" already more of an armed camp
than a celebration, such a place was needed.

DaH jIrIn.  After what I said Friday, I just wanted to give credit
where credit is due.  As for the taHqeq who did this - meQjaj nuch
jay'!  (<<SaDlogh loQ megh nuch>> 'e' vISov, 'ach yapbe'.)

-marqoS

--
Mark J. Reed                     |
Email: [email protected]	         |  HP Internet/System Security Lab

Back to archive top level