tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 28 13:05:59 1996

Re: An offer you shouldn't refuse!

Robert Darke writes:
>...Ignore me. Purpose clauses. Yes, I see ...
>Yikes, there's a lot to learn, isn't there ...

HIja'!  'ach SIbI' Hoch DaghojnISbe'.
Yes, but you don't need to learn everything all at once.

>How on earth does one get the right construction for a sentence ? It's
>something I seem to be really struggling with. I can string verbs and nouns
>and affixes together, no problem, but it's the basic structure that I get
>wrong. I take the English phrase that I want to translate and try to do it
>and then move it around and try again but I can't ever seem to twist it into
>a shape that makes a decent Klingon sentence and still gets my original
>meaning across.
>
>Any hints ?

Certainly.  You're bound to have problems if you try to translate the words
first then rearrange them to fit Klingon grammar.  Do it in the other order!
Restate the meaning in a form that can be moved more or less directly into
a Klingon sentence structure; *then* translate the words.

Plug words into the main Object-Verb-Subject template.  Use stative verbs
adjectivally as needed.  Remember subordinate/relative/purpose clauses.
Use adverbial words appropriately.  Use Klingon grammar to build up the
sentence in the first place, and you won't have to twist the shape later.