tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 26 14:24:41 1996

Re: My "Hello" to the list

Hi Mark,

> >Ahah. Section 3.4 (noun-noun constructs).  {DaH yajwI'Hey jIH}  (???)
>
> Huh???  Ooooh.  Um, yeah, I guess.  But it's a lot simpler to do "DaH
> jIyajlaw'."  Klingon seems to work nicer when you think in terms of verbs
> than nouns.

I originally wrote "Things become clearer" and then decided to have a bash
at it in tlhIngan Hol. Unfortunately, my twisting and turning of the English
to get a tlhIngan phrase that worked didn't quite work. So I decided to try
and say "I think I understand a bit better".

This is something I'm going to have the most difficulty with -- getting my
meaning across rather than just floundering with something that sorta works
but looses my meaning (and I do mean sorta -- I was still thinking about
that phrase above as I fell asleep last night because I KNEW it was wrong
and was trying to make something better)

> >Would "What is his job?" become {nuq 'oH Qu'Daj?} or is there something else
> >I should know ? Hmm. How about ... naah, never mind. I was thinking about
> >using {ghaH} but it doesn't work, does it.
>
> The -'e' is needed, otherwise okay.  I've been using and liking "Qu'" for
> "job"; there may be other words you prefer

That one's great ! And I'm glad I finally seemed to twig the general idea of
pronouns as verbs (except that I forgot the {-'e'})

As another example of my structure problems, I've been trying (for the past
two hours ...) to formulate something that says (or gets the meaning across)

"Does anyone want to begin a conversation with me about anything at all?"

and I kind of ended up along the lines of (I know it may not make sense and
it's only part done and probably nonsensical anyway, but ...)

{mujatlh vay' luneH vay'} and then I was thinking about how to say "any
topic" and was playing around with {Sovbe'gach Doch}.

But it's all sort of wrong, isn't it.

I can't even seem to make a "tlhIngan-way-of-saying the darn thing in
English" -- let alone translate it.

Qapla'

Rob

--

|           tlhIngan Hol             |    Why not take a quick peek at     |

Back to archive top level