tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 26 11:56:57 1996

Re: My "Hello" to the list

>Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 14:49:22 -0700
>From: Robert Darke <[email protected]>

>> It's my own business when and if I feel like horning in on his
>> jurisdiction.  Rank hath its privileges.

>Yipe! Rank?

Indeed, in the summer especially I think it's safe to say I get pretty
rank sometimes.

>> Pronouns-as-verbs are unusual, and maybe they break that slightly, but stay
>> with it.  Basically what we have here is "'oH" being used as a verb

>Ahah. Section 3.4 (noun-noun constructs).  {DaH yajwI'Hey jIH}  (???)

Huh???  Ooooh.  Um, yeah, I guess.  But it's a lot simpler to do "DaH
jIyajlaw'."  Klingon seems to work nicer when you think in terms of verbs
than nouns.

>Not something I missed, as such, I just didn't remember it !

>But (sorry) I reckon that it should be {nuq 'oH Hoch Qu''e'?} (N1's N2 --
>everyone's task or N2 of the N1 -- task of everyone) instead of {nuq 'oH Qu'
>Hoch'e'?} ???

Geez, two major blunders in the same thread.  A new low.  reH latlh qabDaq
qul tuj law' Hoch tuj puS.  "qoj" at least I rarely use; N-N constructions
I use all the time.  Yes, Hoch Qu''e', in the true N-N sense, not the
partitive

(Side note, on the replacement proverb I just used.  Note that we have
"latlh qabDaq" for "another's face", using "latlh" as a normal N-N
construction, not as partitive.  This doesn't say anything about where it
should go for "another face", of course, any more than Okrand's comment in
HolQeD about the general fax using Hoch does, but it's interesting to see).

>Would "What is his job?" become {nuq 'oH Qu'Daj?} or is there something else
>I should know ? Hmm. How about ... naah, never mind. I was thinking about
>using {ghaH} but it doesn't work, does it.

The -'e' is needed, otherwise okay.  I've been using and liking "Qu'" for
"job"; there may be other words you prefer (I dunno, "yaHDaj yIDel"?
Sounds like you want to know what kind of wallpaper his cubicle has
though).

>> DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'.

>Whilst I _think_ I get the gist of the Klingon there, I wouldn't mind a
>translation.

"Set fire on the side when there is danger" (lit. when the situation is
dangerous).  It's a "replacement proverb," from _Power Klingon_.  Like "reH
latlh qabDaq..." above (and the ubiquitous HIvqa' veqlargh), it's something
to say to save face, when you've done something stupid.  The literal
meaning is pretty much irrelevant, it's a fossilized expression.

~mark

Back to archive top level