tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 26 12:17:08 1996

Re: KLBC: lutHom

>Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 19:24:50 -0700
>From: Tony Harris <[email protected]>

>'Iv vISuch 'e' DaH potlhbe'.  chaq latlh lutHomDaq De'vam Daghoj.

mujlaw' pablIj.  Actually, I think DIvI' Hol really is needed to explain
this.

You say "'Iv vISuch 'e' DaH potlhbe'."  There are two things to consider
here.  First of all, since 'e' is the object of the main sentence (the
object of the verb "potlhbe'"), the "DaH", the modifying adverb, should
come before it, as adverbs usually precede the object.  So it should be DaH
'e' potlhbe'.

That said, it still doesn't work.  How can "potlh" take an object?  "potlh"
means "be important"; it seems to be an intransitive verb (or if it takes
an object, that object can't be the thing that's "important"; that's the
subject.  Maybe it could be who it's important to, in theory).  So you're
trying to say "It's not important who I visited" using "'e'" to make "'Iv
vISuch" the *SUBJECT* of "potlh"... but you can't do that.  'e' only makes
sentences into *objects*; you can't do sentence as subject stuff.

We don't have a simple or complete answer to the problem of relative
pronouns, but you can do some workarounds...

'Iv vISuch?  DaH potlhbe' [De'vetlh]. and so on...

>>><<juHwIjDaq ghoSpa' SajDaj vIHoH>> jatlh jupwI'.
>>
>>Saj ghaj 'Iv?  jImIStaH.

>Saj ghaj latlh jup.  lutHom Hoch (<--? "The whole story")) Datlha'taHvIS De'vam
>Daghoj.

"lutHom naQ" vImaS.

>jupqoqwIj.

jupqoq DatIch 'e' DaHech'a'?  DatIchpu'

>>>batlhqoqlIjmo' chotojtaH.  boQlIj ghajnIspu'DI' vavwI' DaQaHpu'be'qu'.
>>
>><ghajnISpu'DI'> vIyajchu'be'.  "After he needed it"?  'utbe'law' <-pu'>.

><ghajnISpu'DI'> 'oH DIvI' Hol "when/while he needed it".  chaq <-pu'>
>vIjatlhnISpu'be'.

"After he had needed it" 'oS "ghajnISpu'DI'".

~mark

Back to archive top level