tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 25 14:45:15 1996

Re: My "Hello" to the list

Hiya Mark,

> >'oH belwIj
>
> That'd probably be "belwIj 'oH"; like "tlhIngan maH" is we are Klingons.
> But it's an English idiom anyway.  Possibly better would be "jIbel jIH'e'"
> (it is I who am pleased).  Of course, it's not a very Klingon sentiment in
> the first place.

You're quite right. I gotta think more Klingon into what I try to say.

> It's my own business when and if I feel like horning in on his
> jurisdiction.  Rank hath its privileges.

Yipe! Rank?

> Pronouns-as-verbs are unusual, and maybe they break that slightly, but stay
> with it.  Basically what we have here is "'oH" being used as a verb

Ahah. Section 3.4 (noun-noun constructs).  {DaH yajwI'Hey jIH}  (???)

Not something I missed, as such, I just didn't remember it !

But (sorry) I reckon that it should be {nuq 'oH Hoch Qu''e'?} (N1's N2 --
everyone's task or N2 of the N1 -- task of everyone) instead of {nuq 'oH Qu'
Hoch'e'?} ???

Would "What is his job?" become {nuq 'oH Qu'Daj?} or is there something else
I should know ? Hmm. How about ... naah, never mind. I was thinking about
using {ghaH} but it doesn't work, does it.

> >And what's with the English punctuation in the tlhIngan script ?

> <snip>
> language easier to read?  We're not changing the language, or adding
> anything that isn't there, just the way it's represented, to make our lives
> easier.

Neat. I like easier :-)

> DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'.

Whilst I _think_ I get the gist of the Klingon there, I wouldn't mind a
translation.

Qapla'

Rob

--

|           tlhIngan Hol             |    Why not take a quick peek at     |

Back to archive top level