tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 25 20:58:32 1996

Re: An offer you shouldn't refuse!

Dave Yeung writes:
>I myself have used {tlhIngan HolDaq...} for "In Klingon...", but now that
>I think about it, the Klingon {-Daq} isn't really the same as the English
>"in".  Can you say:
>
>{ghaH vIHar}      I believe him
>{?ghaHDaq jIHar}   I believe IN him

I don't think so.  {-Daq} is a locative, and as you mentioned above, it
doesn't always match the english word "in", expecially when that "in" is
closely bound to the meaning of the verb itself, like "participate in".
Consider {voq} "trust, have faith in" for the second meaning here.

>{tlhIngan Hol vIjatlh}     I speak Klingon
>{tlhIngan HolDaq jIjatlh}  I speak IN Klingon

What does "to speak in" mean, anyway?  It sounds like an instrumental
sort of meaning; I would do my standard turn-it-around trick and say
{jIjatlhmeH tlhIngan Hol vIlo'}.