tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 22 19:08:07 1996

Gods, and Celebrity

Two items:

1. In my translation of the Gospel according to Mark, I followed the precedent
established by Mark Shoulson and The Unmentionable One (newcomers, ask the
oldtimers whereof I speak), and translated 'God' as joH'a'. (This is indeed the
translation of Greek _kurios_, just like Hebrew _adonai_; of course, the language
of the Christian Scriptures is full of allusions to Greek Jewish religious
language anyway.) In Hamlet, where we consciously set out to make the setting
polytheistic (the classical allusions helped), I used qa''a'.

2. Australian Klingonists may care to be tuned to ABC TV's _Between The Lines_
book program, Wednesday August 7, 10 pm, with a repeat the following Sunday arvo
(1 pm or something), for the 15 (more like 3 or 4) minutes of fame of yours truly.
I have been promised some of the English used in the spot will be subtitled into
Klingon --- possibly even pIqaD!

3. And oh yeah. I'm tutoring my Department's Cultural Sensitivity unit this
semester (allusions to my degree of cultural sensitivity cheerfully ignored). I'm
contemplating setting an assignment for students to work out the politeness rules
for Klingon discourse, given a couple of pages of canon interactions. Stay
tuned...

--
NON ME TENENT VINCVLA NON ME TENET CLAVIS    STETIT PVELLA RVFA TVNICA SIQVIS
       Nick Nicholas      http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~nsn   Linguistics

Back to archive top level