tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 17 09:25:04 1996

Re: Any philosophers out there?

qaSDI' 96-07-17 02:49:52 EDT, jatlh peHruS:

> << jIQubtaH, vaj jIH.>>
>
>  I'm going for:  jIQubtaH, vaj jItaH.
>
>  Ref. Hamlet taH pagh taHbe'

But that is most definitely not the meaning of the saying.  To make a summary
of the meaning, "I think therefore I am" is describing the state of awareness
that humans possess, as opposed to the awareness of anything else.  A human
does more (in philosophy, anyway) than interact with his (or her)
environment.  He can stop and *think* about it.  In doing so, the person
separates himself from the rest of the universe.  The concept is
outstandingly difficult to explain, but really is remarkably simple.  For a
good book which explores this idea, see "The Passion According to G.H." (I
don't remember the author).

So, when I say {jIQubtaH vaj jIH}, I am not saying "I think therefore I
exist," which is not the point of the original, but rather, "I think, I am
actually conscious of my actions and what they mean, therefore I am an entity
separate from the rest of the universe."  In "I think, therefore I am," the
"I am" refers to the state of being a closed, individual part of the
universe, separate from it.

SuStel
Stardate 96543.9

Back to archive top level