tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 16 09:01:33 1996

Re: Words for "God"

>It seems likeliest to me that the Hebrew name <Yahwe> is a by-form of the
>verb form "He who is", "He who exists" (root Y-H-Y, Y-H-W) (distinct from
>surrounding nations' heathen gods such as Baal etc which by definition do
>not exist), i.e. {<exist>bogh ghaH}, or {<exist>wI'}, or perhaps
>{<exist>wI''a'} - if a word for "exist" can be found or provided. But I
>have seen a guess that the Hebrew verb form in <Yahwe> is causative: "He
>who creates".

Based on your definition, I have considered:

{chenwI''a'} One who takes form
{chenmoHwI''a'} One who causes to take form ("Creator")
{taHwI''a'} One who continues (the closest word to "exist", but I think a
lot of people don't like this word, since Klingon has no word for "to be")

 dave yeung

Back to archive top level