tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 16 05:53:49 1996

Words for "God"

Re words for "God", I once tried to translate the Old Testament sentence "He
is who he is" (Hebrew <yahwe man yahwe>) used to explain the old Hebrew Divine
Name. The nearest I could get was {ghaH ghaHbogh ghaH} = "He is `he who is
him'". It seems likeliest to me that the Hebrew name <Yahwe> is a by-form of
the verb form "He who is", "He who exists" (root Y-H-Y, Y-H-W) (distinct from
surrounding nations' heathen gods such as Baal etc which by definition do not
if a word for "exist" can be found or provided. But I have seen a guess that
the Hebrew verb form in <Yahwe> is causative: "He who creates".

Back to archive top level