tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 16 08:57:45 1996

Re: God, holy

>  For "God" try {qa'a'} = "Great Spirit" ({qa} = "spirit" is a Klingon
>word that I saw somewhere.)

"God"vaD "joH'a'" lo'lu' 'e' vIleghpu'.
I have seen "joH'a'" used for "God".

>If an Earth missionary started preaching among
>Klingons, {ghoD} taken from English would be inappropriate as it already
>means (verb) "stuff" & (noun) "prey"; he might try {De'uS} from Latin.

tlhIngan Hol lo'lu'taHvIS "prey" 'oH'a' "ghoD"'e'?  pagh "gheD" DaghItlh
DaHech?
In Klingon, does "ghoD" mean "prey"?  Or do you mean "gheD"?
(I may be mistaken, I am recollecting from memory.)

>The
>same trouble occurred in translating Christian matter into Chinese, which
>has many personal names for individual gods, but no old native word for "a
>god".

chay'!?  Hutlh'a'?
What-?  It doesn't?

Then where does the contemporary Chinese (Cantonese) word {*sun (sounds
like the English word "sun", I mean)} come from?  Was it introducted from
another language?
latlh HolvaD mu'vaD tlhap'a'?

>  For "religion" try "God's business" = {qa'a' majla'}?

{lalDan} is given for "religion".  {lal} doesn't mean anything to my
knowledge, and {Dan} is a verb meaning to "occupy (military term)".

BTW does anyone know if there is a name for the native Klingon
religion(s)?  I know of "Khomerex Zha" from "The Final Reflection", but
what is the name of the religion of Kahless?  We know they have clerics
and temples and such.

 dave yeung

Back to archive top level