tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 16 02:23:38 1996

Re: KLBC: jIlIH'egh [Introduction]

On Thu, 11 Jul 1996 ghunchu'wI' wrote:

> Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 00:36:58 -0500
> From: [email protected] (Alan Anderson)
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: KLBC: jIlIH'egh [Introduction]
>
> Katy Jordan writes:
> >pongwIj 'oH *Katy* 'e'.  *England*Daq jIyIn.  *Bath* DuSaQ'a'Daq jIvum.
>
> Be careful; {-'e'} here is a suffix, not a separate word.

Right.  Gottit.  I hope.

> {DuSaQ'a'} works fine for me.  I'm still a bit uncomfortable with this
> use of {yIn} in Klingon.  It's quite possible that it is correct, but I
> haven't seen any canon examples of it.  I don't think that anyone would
> misunderstand {*England*Daq 'oHtaH juHwIj'e'}, and I feel that it helps
> to be as unambiguous as possible.

Yes, I realised soon after I posted the message that it was not the best
word for the job.

> >paqmey vaSDaq jIvum.  De' lunej ghojwI'pu'.  chaH vIQaH 'ej vIqeS.  vaj
> >tlhIngan pongwIj 'oH Sov polwI' 'e'.
>
> {paqmey vaS} is a reasonable simple translation for "library", but you
> might consider describing its purpose; perhaps {paqmey polmeH vaS}.

Right - sounds good.

> >tighmey luDechmey je vIHaDtaH. DaH *Wiltshire*Daq bIQ Halmey tIQ vIQultaH.
> >
> >[I'm studying customs and traditions (ie I'm a folklorist).  At the moment
> >I'm researching ancient wells in Wiltshire (does bIQ Hal = water source?
> >and I really want to say holy/sacred wells... words! words! give me
> >words!)]
>
> majQa' -- this is a very good translation.  I don't understand {bIQ Hal}
> as "well", though; it sounds more like a spring.  It would probably have
> to be described more thoroughly in order to be certain of getting across
> your meaning.  Maybe {bIQ tlhIl} would suffice, though.

These *are* springs - not shaft-wells - so {bIQ Hal} is exactly what I
want to say. What about "holy", though?  I tried to come up with some kind
of phrase like "important/significant to religion" but couldn't seem to
find a word for "important".  I bet Klingons have holy wells - they have
sacred sites which should not be replicated holographically, as we know...

Thanks for the help.

Katy Sov polwI'

Katy Jordan		Librarian, School of Modern Languages
				& International Studies
			Librarian, School of Architecture
				& Civil Engineering
			Staff Development & Training Officer.

Library			Tel: +44-(0)-1225-826826 X5612
University of Bath	Fax: +44-(0)-1225-826229
Bath. BA2 7AY		Email: [email protected]
United Kingdom