tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 11 03:05:15 1996

Re: KLBC: jIlIH'egh [Introduction]

Katy Jordan writes:
>pongwIj 'oH *Katy* 'e'.  *England*Daq jIyIn.  *Bath* DuSaQ'a'Daq jIvum.
>
>[I'm called Katy.  I live in England and work at the University of Bath -
>DuSaQ'a' is the closest I could get to saying "University" - advice,
>anyone?]

Be careful; {-'e'} here is a suffix, not a separate word.

{DuSaQ'a'} works fine for me.  I'm still a bit uncomfortable with this
use of {yIn} in Klingon.  It's quite possible that it is correct, but I
haven't seen any canon examples of it.  I don't think that anyone would
misunderstand {*England*Daq 'oHtaH juHwIj'e'}, and I feel that it helps
to be as unambiguous as possible.

>paqmey vaSDaq jIvum.  De' lunej ghojwI'pu'.  chaH vIQaH 'ej vIqeS.  vaj
>tlhIngan pongwIj 'oH Sov polwI' 'e'.
>
>[I work in the Library (hall of books??).  The students search for
>information and I help and advise them.  That's why my Klingon name is
>'Keeper of Knowledge']

{paqmey vaS} is a reasonable simple translation for "library", but you
might consider describing its purpose; perhaps {paqmey polmeH vaS}.
Again, in a "to be" sentence, {-'e'} is a suffix, and should be connected
to the sentence's subject.

>tighmey luDechmey je vIHaDtaH. DaH *Wiltshire*Daq bIQ Halmey tIQ vIQultaH.
>
>[I'm studying customs and traditions (ie I'm a folklorist).  At the moment
>I'm researching ancient wells in Wiltshire (does bIQ Hal = water source?
>and I really want to say holy/sacred wells... words! words! give me
>words!)]

majQa' -- this is a very good translation.  I don't understand {bIQ Hal}
as "well", though; it sounds more like a spring.  It would probably have
to be described more thoroughly in order to be certain of getting across
your meaning.  Maybe {bIQ tlhIl} would suffice, though.

>Holmey vIjatlh 'e' vItIv.  *Star Trek* tlhInganpu' je vIparHa'.  vaj
>tlhIngan Hol vIHaDtaH.
>
>[I enjoy speaking languages.  I like Star Trek and Klingons - that's why
>I'm studying Klingon.]

Holmey, *Star Trek*, tlhInganpu' je DatIvchugh, tlhIngan Hol DatIvbej.

>Katy Sov polwI'
>
>PS  ghunchu'wI' - I've lurked on the list for ages and have read your
>intro many times - so no need to explain who you are.  I've tried to keep
>it simple - and the translations should make the incoherent bits clear!

{qatlho' 'ach 'utbe'}  Thanks, but it wasn't necessary in this case; you
were very coherent.