tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 08 10:05:29 1996

Re: Reply to KBLC: some questions (Dave Yeung)

On Thu, 4 Jul 1996, Roger Cheesbro wrote:

> >tlhIngan Hol vIlo'taHvIS chay' "prayer" vIjatlh?  {mu'naD} vIlo'.
> >
> The word you choose to use for prayer will express how you are praying.
> If naD you are praising him.  If buS then you are in deep prayer,
> meditating, thinking only of him.  Many people say that when they pray they
> are simply talking to God, so jatlh could be used.

jIQochbe'.  'ach DIp vIghajnIS.  I need a noun for prayer.

> >Is it permissible to use both {-Ha'} and {-be'} or, for that matter, use
> >a rover twice in the same verb?
> >
> I believe you can.
> ie: vIpar, I hate it;  vIparHa', I like it;  vIparHa'be', I do not like it.
> If I do not like something it doesn't necessarily mean that I hate it.
> Hate is such a strong word.

mu'mey HoS bIH tlhIngan mu'mey Hoch'e'.  All Klingon words are strong
words. :)

> >Some words have more than one meaning.  {pIqaD} also means "we challenge
> >you", and {HIja'} means "you (imp) tell me!"  Is there a reason for this?
> >
> Even in English this occurs.  Accidental has nothing to do with your teeth
> (dental).  Update is not moving a date to a higher level.  When you retire
> at age 65 are you tiring again or are you putting new tires on your car?

bIlugh.  But I just thought that it might be neat to have a writing
system the name of which is "we challenge you". {{:-)

> Roger Cheesbro
>
> DloraH, naD puqloD

dave yeung

Back to archive top level