tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 04 22:45:22 1996

Reply to KBLC: some questions (Dave Yeung)

>tlhIngan Hol vIlo'taHvIS chay' "prayer" vIjatlh?  {mu'naD} vIlo'.

The word you choose to use for prayer will express how you are praying.
If naD you are praising him.  If buS then you are in deep prayer,
meditating, thinking only of him.  Many people say that when they pray they
are simply talking to God, so jatlh could be used.

>Is it permissible to use both {-Ha'} and {-be'} or, for that matter, use
>a rover twice in the same verb?

I believe you can.
ie: vIpar, I hate it;  vIparHa', I like it;  vIparHa'be', I do not like it.
If I do not like something it doesn't necessarily mean that I hate it.
Hate is such a strong word.

>Some words have more than one meaning.  {pIqaD} also means "we challenge
>you", and {HIja'} means "you (imp) tell me!"  Is there a reason for this?

Even in English this occurs.  Accidental has nothing to do with your teeth
(dental).  Update is not moving a date to a higher level.  When you retire
at age 65 are you tiring again or are you putting new tires on your car?

Roger Cheesbro

DloraH, naD puqloD

Back to archive top level